Thursday, November 6, 2008

A good influence

I went to another Zumba class tonight and did not have time for dinner (but I did have time to eat 2 chicken nuggets). I got home and was starving!

Since I'm blogging, and haven't posted a recipe yet this week, I decided to cook instead of eating eggs or left overs. See - this blog is a good influence on me.

I wanted something quick, easy and healthy. So I went to my "go-to" source - The Cooking Light Bulletin Board.

Bobmark226 (Bob) posted a recipe from Bittman: HTCE, 2008 revised edition. Of course, and I don't know HOW THIS HAPPENED, I am out of onions and garlic. I also made a couple of other substitutions and eye-balled the ingredients.

I will post the recipe as written and add my changes on the side.

Beer-Glazed Black Beans (turned out to be Wine-Glazed Black Beans)
Makes: 4 servings
Time: 20 minutes with cooked beans

It's amazing how much flavor you can get from adding beer to black beans. Lagers and wheat beers will produce a lighter, fruitier dish; porters will add richness and stouts a deep, caramelized flavors.Other beans you can use: pinto, pink or black-eyed peas



2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 onion, chopped (I used onion powder)
1 Tbsp. minced garlic (I used garlic powder)
1 cup beer (I used white wine - which isn't in the picture)
3 cups cooked or canned black beans, drained but still moist (I used one can Black Beans since I scaled it down just for me)
1 Tbsp. ground chili powder or ground cumin ( I used both)
1 Tbsp. honey
salt & freshly ground pepper

1. Put the oil in a skillet over med-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about five minutes. Add the garlic, cook for about a minute, then add the remaining ingredients with a good sprinkling of salt and pepper.
2. Bring to a steady boil and cook til the liquid is slightly reduced and thickened, about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve hot or refrigerate for up to 3 days and reheat.

While searching through the pantry, I noticed a tin of sardines!!



Yummy!! So - I added one on top (I think it's a European thing to love sardines).



WOW!!!! This was "lick my plate" good. Eat "way too much" good. The honey, chili powder and cumin really packed a flavorful punch!! So tasty!!

No comments: