Monday, July 27, 2009

Sunrise, Sunset

This was the number I danced with my father to, at my wedding. "Do you love me?" is a running joke between a really good friends parents. The rest of the songs are ones that I can sing from memory.

I have no idea the first time I saw Fiddler on the Roof (the movie) but I have always known it to be the story of my people - the story of my culture and past.

This past weekend, I took my parents (who were in town for the weekend) and my in-laws to see the musical at the Pantages Theater. Topol was playing the lead role. He truly is Tevye, garnering an Academy Award nomination for the movie version in 1971. He is a living legend.

The musical was terrific - although it was a bit difficult seeing someone else play Golde to Topol's Tevye. By the end of the 1st half, the difference didn't even phase me.

Being a Russian Jew and an immigrant, the story really resonates with me. How do you reconcile tradition, culture and faith with acceptance of all people? How do I teach my kids that it really would be better to marry someone Jewish (and preferably Russian) when I have so many friends of all different cultures and beliefs?

These were the things that were going through my mind during the show, and afterwords.

I didn't take my monkeys to this, but I think it's a great show for kids 11 and older (and depending on their maturity level, of course).

If you are Jewish, actually any immigrant, this is truly a musical you have to experience, even once. And with Topol in the lead role, he is the perfect actor to guide you through the story.

1 comment:

April said...

I've had the pleasure of seeing Topol in this role before, so I couldn't justify the cost to see it again, but I would argue that anyone of any race or religion that's been oppressed should see it - which means everyone should see it!