Thursday, December 4, 2008

Slap yo Momma good!

First off, these Chocolate Marble Biscotti are "leave the kitchen to stop eating" good!!! They are "slap yo momma" good! Wow - are they ever good!

Chocolate Marble Biscotti
My Baking Adventures Blog (wonderful Blog by the way)

2 ¾ c. all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ c. butter, slightly firm
1 c. sugar
3 large eggs
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract (I made my own using rum and vanilla pods, hence the rum bottle)
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate (I used chips), melted



Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (I used silpats) and set aside.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the sugar in a steady stream and beat for 2 minutes longer. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl periodically. Add the vanilla and beat again. Reduce the mixer speed to low and mix in the flour in 2 additions, mixing only to combine. Remove the bowl from the mixer.

Divide the dough into 2 large mixing bowls, and working with one bowl at a time, drizzle spoonfuls of one-half of the melted chocolate over the dough. Cut through the dough with the spatula, but do not stir or overwork the dough. It’s alright to see wet patches of chocolate. Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, and form a log about 12 inches wide and 2 inches wide. Repeat with the remaining dough.

Bake the dough for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm in the center. Remove the logs from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Using a serrated knife, cut the logs into ½ inch thick slices, then lay the cookies down on the baking sheet, return to the oven and bake again for 18 minutes, flipping them over halfway through the baking time.

Remove the biscotti to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 5 dozen biscotti (mine made 2 dozen - I think my shapes were funky and not according to the directions).

A couple of caveats: The dough is very "wet" and "sticky". The biscotti took twice as long to cook in the first stage (before cutting). I tried to melt my chocolate chips in a pyrex cup - smoke ensued. I ended up melting the chocolate chips on the stove top, in about 1/3 of the time! My recipe made 2 dozen - I think my shapes were closer to 5 inches wide. They do look more like "real" biscotti.

Aren't they pretty and "marbley":






The big monkey and I met with her pediatrician today for her class project on a profession she was interested in. This woman was amazing. She acted like she had all the time in the world to sit and talk to us. She answered the monkey's questions while I took copious notes. Then she posed for a picture AND asked for a copy of the report when it was done!

10 comments:

Lana@The Kids Did WHAT?! said...

Oooh! Those look good! I actually have all the ingredients too! Which is AMAZING, considering I lack the baking gene! I think I'll try making that this weekend!

What an AWESOME doctor to be so helpful for your daughter's school project! And what an amazing example for her too!

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

Lana - I lack the baking gene too. But this is sooo good, it's worth it. If you have silpats, I would recommend using them instead of parchment paper.

Kim said...

Yum!

What if I don't have a paddle for my mixer? Can I use beaters?

Megan said...

Hey they look great! I don't know where the author got 5 dozen from, because I usually only get 2 dozen. Oh well -

Glad you liked them, and your marbling came out much better than mine - I think my baking mojo was off that day!

Unknown said...

Those delicious!

Unknown said...

Ok, that was supposed to say, "Those LOOK delicious." Apparently I'm not using verbs today.

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

Kim - The dough is pretty wet so I'm pretty sure you can use beaters, just don't quote me on that.

Tova - verbs are over-rated.

Unknown said...

I might have to try this, it looks delicious!

Stephanie said...

Oh that looks yummy! Makes me wanna jump in the kitchen and try to make some. That recipe does sound simple enough. hmmmm.

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

Let me know if anyone makes the Biscotti.