Sunday, August 2, 2009

They Have Pulled Me Over For Talking on a Cell Phone

but won't give me the time of day when I'm on the side of the road, at 10pm, miles between freeways on-ramp's with a 5 and 6 year old in the car!!!

The mini-vacation was great. Sea World was low key and fun, as always. Didn't feel the need to rush to see all the shows, since we've seen them before. Lego Land was REALLY fun! There are way more rides and attractions, and also more walking! Since the park was open until 9pm, we didn't feel as rushed as last time. We did a number of rides (including the great Dragon roller coaster) twice. The big monkey still held on for dear life, but the little monkey had her hands raised most of the time and re-affirmed my dreaded suspicions that she is FEARLESS (I AM IN SUCH BIG TROUBLE).

We left at 9pm, utterly exhausted and MORE THAN ready to make the almost two hour trip home. The husband had left earlier in the day to go back to work. Our friends stayed to try to get in one more ride at Lego Land.

15 minutes later I to heard a loud noise, which got even louder. Of course, I was in the left lane. I managed to pull over to the right shoulder and stop my car. I had a flat tire. In the middle of nowhere. I called AAA, who elevated the call to a priority and called the CHP. I wasn't about to take any chances with the monkeys in the car!!! I texted my friends to tell them what happen and told them which exit I had passed recently. About 15 minutes later they pulled up in front of me (which is very sweet considering 3 kids were in the car with them). The SUPER HELPFUL AAA woman stayed on the phone with me until AAA got there, about 30 minutes after my friends showed up (even though the original ETA was 15 minutes and it ended up taking them almost an hour to get there).

CHP - never arrived!! Apparently, they had better things to do than to protect a woman with 2 kids in a car that won't move in the pitch black dead of night on the side of a rode.

Luckily, everything turned out fine and we were home a little past 12am. Crappy way to end a pleasant vacation, but great blog fodder :)

3 comments:

Joanie said...

AAA was one of the best investments I have ever made. Glad everything worked out ok for you.

April said...

AAA is the smartest membership you can buy! They've saved us on family vacations, after a night out when I was stupid and locked my keys in the car, and 2 dead batteries. As a woman always alone with the 2 kids, I'm confident taking my kids anywhere with AAA and my cell phone.

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

I LOVE AAA too - I have had their road side assistance since I started driving.