Friday, February 27, 2009

Sometimes I just need a nice evening out

Tonight it was with my girl friend (whose husband was out of town),not my husband, but still it was a great evening.

I picked up my friend at 6pm and we started rolling. WE weren't sure where to go but decided to head towards the city. We ended up at Asia de Cuba. I had been there once, years before, and my friend never had.

The view was beautiful. I would love to come back in the summer, during sunset, when I can fully appreciate the view, and sit outside during dinner.

The food was one of the most memorable meals I have had in a long time.

We started with two appetizers:
Tunapica - good and different, might have been great if we hadn't been served the calamari first
tuna tartare picadillo style with spanish olives, black currants, almonds, coconut, soy-lime vinaigrette and wonton crisps

Calamari salad 'asia de cuba' - I can see why this is a signature dish. We just COULD NOT stop eating it! The portion was huge and we still had some left over to take home
crispy calamari with chayote, hearts of palm, banana, cashews, chicory and radicchio, sesame orange dressing

We shared an entree:
Miso cured alaskan black cod - One of the best cooked pieces of fish I have had. I would have this over and over again!!!
cuban black bean and edamame salad, tempura shisito peppers

We also shared a side dish:
Plantain fried rice with avocado salad - This is another signature dish of theirs. Somehow this dish transcends regular fried rice and elevates it to this amazing symphony of flavors! YUMMY!!!

We each had Mojitos served with sugar cane sticks. The drinks were fantastic.

This was not a cheap dinner but VERY worth it. Truthfully though, the two of us could have easily done without the tuna tartare and not felt like we were missing a thing.

After dinner we took Pico Blvd. down to Santa Monica. Driving along Pico was fun (we passed by Don Antonio's for anyone who has watched The Hills since season 2). We stopped in at Casa del Mar and had a drink in the lounge. The hotel is BEAUTIFUL.

The evening complete we drove back home.

This was a nice, relaxing evening. We had no concrete plans but knew we wanted to have a nice dinner somewhere we didn't usually go. We didn't feel rushed or stressed.

Once in a while, you definitely need an evening JUST LIKE THIS!!

5 comments:

LL said...

You landed at my very favorite restaurant in LA. The food is memorable, the atmosphere (especially on a hot summer evening) is electric.

Sometimes you need "hyacinths to feed your soul".

Joanie said...

Sounds wonderful! glad you had a great time! I love girls' night out!

Unknown said...

Nothing like a girls night out to help soothe the soul.

BTW.. everytime I come to your blog and you talk about food.. I gain like 10 pounds so stop it ok? :)

Opus #6 said...

That sounds yummy and fun!

Lucy said...

Sounds like a nice break from stress.