Sunday, October 4, 2009

Asian Super Slaw

I made plans with friends to host dinner. We decided on Korean BBQ meat from the Korean grocery store. Friends brought the meat already pre-marinated. I added a salad, that I found on the Cooking Light Bulletin Board, by applecrisp, to round out the meal.

My friends COULD NOT STOP eating this salad!!

Asian Super Slaw
Servings: Serves 4 to 6. (many say serves more than that)

Ingredients
6 tablespoons rice vinegar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil - used 3 tablespoons
5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage - used a bag of coleslaw instead of both cabbages
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage - used a bag of coleslaw instead of both cabbages
2 large red or yellow bell peppers, cut into matchstick-size strips
2 medium carrots, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
8 large green onions, cut into matchstick-size strips
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 avocado - my own cal-asian addition that added an extra creamy something to the dish

Directions:
Whisk first 7 ingredients in small bowl to blend. (Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before continuing.)
Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve.





3 comments:

Kim said...

That looks DELICIOUS!

Suzy said...

As an aside, did you know ginger is good for nausea? I don't like the kind that comes with sushi but I discovered candied ginger and my oh my.

Lucy said...

My mouth waters when I visit your site. I'm telling you, your family eats well!!!!!