Saturday, September 19, 2009

Services

Today is Rosh Hashanah. I have decided that I really don't know enough to make the monkey's feel as though they are Jewish in anything other than name. So I am starting to take them to services. Today, we went to children's services at a great Temple - the older monkey had been once before and the little monkey went today for the first time.

The service lasted 1 hour and was completely geared for kids. There was singing and story telling. The Shofar was blown and the Torah was taken out and passed around (I was very proud that my older monkey remembered that you were supposed to touch the Torah and then touch your hand to your lips).

The one hour was the perfect amount of time. We got a flavor for the stories and traditions that define our people. I know we'll be back again for Yom Kippur and that the monkey's are excited to go back.

A pretty good start to religion if you ask me.

No comments: